POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 14:12:08
Message: <46tm40lu1etlovuj52rs4v4f6bj1eknef9@4ax.com>
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:56:01 -0500, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] NOSPAMml1net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:16:59 +0000, IMBJR wrote:
>

>> Anyone here willing to discuss the JPEG2000 format and its use in
>> these groups?
>>
>> I for one, for obvious reasons, believe it is a valid format to use
>> for a few reasons:
>>
>> 1. Reduction in file size with less loss in image quality. A bonus for
>> a news server - esp' one that likes to carry as many of the images
>> posted to it as possible.
>>

>Just use PNG.

PNG is still bulky compared with JPEG/JPEG2000.

>> 2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth. Very good, since POV-Ray is
>> capable of producing 16-bit colour depth images. The downside is the
>> receiving machine's capabilites in regards to this, but at least the
>> 16-bit intent is preserved. This perhaps has no bearing on the groups,
>> but nether-the-less it is a bonus of the format.
>
>I've never seen consumer level video hardware or displays capable of
>displaying more than 8-bit per color.

Never said there were.

>> 3. Arguably less or less-infringing artifacts. JPEG's artifacts are of
>> course terriable, but I think JPEG2000 addresses this in a sensible
>> fashion. However, personally, I'm still not sure if what appears to be
>> a more blurring type of artifact is the right way to go. How this
>> relates to the newsgroups is that of course the groups are not really
>> meant for best quality images, but at least the introduction of less
>> artifacts shows off the artist's work in a better manner.
>
>Again, just use PNG if your're that concerned about quality, and be done
>with any concerns about artifacts once and for all. As a bonus, PNGs are
>viewable on anything resembling a modern workstation without additional
>software.

File size is for me the major blocker to using PNG. I access the net
via dial-up modem, so for me JPEG is a preferred solution - JPEG2000
perhaps more so.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com